The Launch Of The All-Electric MG ZS EV SUV Heralds The Start Of The Chinese Automotive Company’s Electric Ambitions In India. The Iconic Marque Is Well Placed To Leverage The First-Mover Advantage!
MG Motor, though a British automotive company, is owned by the Shanghai headquartered and state owned automotive company, SAIC Motor. The Chinese relaunched the brand in 2011. However, the MG marque has a long established history in the automotive industry and racing. The first MG was introduced in 1924.
The All-Electric MG ZS EV SUV
- The MG ZS EV is the first battery-electric vehicle (BEV) from the resurrected brand. The EV is based on the successful MG ZS SUV (internal combustion engine) launched in 2017.
- The ZS EV has already been launched in markets like the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and China.
- Reviews so far have been positive, in particular in relation to pricing and affordability. The MG ZS EV is competitively priced in relation to other all-electric SUVs like, the Tesla Model X, the pure electric Jaguar I-PACE, the Hyundai Kona Electric and the Kia e-Niro.
- The all-electric MG ZS EV SUV was launched in India in December 2019. Buyers can pre-book the zero-emission electric SUV, with deliveries expected in early 2020.
- The electric vehicle comes with a 44.5 kWh lithium-ion EV battery with a range up to 340 km on a single charge. The MG EV has a larger battery compared to the recently launched Tata Nexon EV.
- Battery warranty: 5 years as part of the MG Motors India e-shield offering. The company is expected to offer a larger EV battery in the future with a potential range up to 500 km.
- The electric vehicle offers 3 driving modes: Sport (accelerated driving mode), Normal (balanced range and driving performance) and Eco (efficient mode to maximise range). Regenerative braking comes as standard.
- The EV comes with a PM 2.5 air filter to improve air quality within the cabin. A much needed feature for driving in India.
- Home charging will take up to 8 hours to charge up to 80%, with a dedicated 7 kW EV charger. The company offers ‘free of cost’ supply and installation of an AC fast charger for home or office. Moreover, every vehicle comes with a portable charger which can be plugged into a 15A socket (charges up to 80% in 16-18 hours).
- The EV comes packed with technology and a number of features to include, a panoramic sky roof, rain sensing front wipers, kinetic energy recovery system, i-SMART EV 2.0 connected car features, 6 airbags and pedestrian warning system. The EV has achieved a Euro NCAP 5 star rating.
- The eco-friendly vehicle is available in Delhi NCR, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Mumbai. These locations also offer EV charging facilities. It comes in two variants, the EXCITE and the EXCLUSIVE. The first 1,000 customers will receive a ‘special price’ from the company. The EV can be pre-booked with a deposit of Rs 50,000 via the MG Motor India website.
- The EV is priced between Rs 23.99 – Rs 24.99 lakh.
Battery And Range
- Battery capacity: 44.5 kWh
- Battery type: lithium-ion (ultra high density)
- Range: 340 km (ARAI certification)
- Capable of rapid charging (up to 80% in 50 minutes)
Power & Performance
- 0-100 km/h: 8.5 seconds
- Top speed: N/A
- Max Power: 142.7 PS
- Torque: 353 Nm
Pure electric cars available in India, include the, all-electric MG ZS SUV, the pure electric Tata Nexon SUV, the all-electric Tata Tigor sedan, the all-electric Mahindra e Verito and the all-electric Hyundai Kona SUV.