The Unveiling Of The Tata All-Electric Nexon SUV Is A Significant Milestone Not Only For The Blue Chip Automotive Manufacturer, But Also For the EV Industry In India!
Though Tata Motors is not new to zero-emission electric driving, the launch of the Nexon electric vehicle, will be the conglomerates first all-electric SUV in India. The group has already gained valuable experience via its ownership of Jaguar Land Rover that launched the award winning all-electric Jaguar I-PACE SUV.
- The Nexon prototype was unveiled in 2014 at the New Delhi Motor Show, with the production model making its debut in 2016. The all-electric Nexon was unveiled in December 2019 by Mr. Guenter Butschek, CEO & MD Tata Motors Ltd. He said at the unveiling “After introducing our cutting-edge EV technology, Ziptron, we are thrilled to unveil the first EV featuring this technology – the Nexon EV. This is a high performance, connected vehicle that is uniquely suited to address the aspirations of Indian customers and break all barriers of EV adoption.”
- The EV will be powered by Tata’s state-of-the-art Ziptron technology and will be available in three variants: XZ+ LUX, XZ+ and XM. The EV will also be available in three colour options to include, signature teal blue, moonlit silver and glacier white.
- The front-wheel drive EV has a 30.2 kWh (IP67 certified) lithium-ion battery (smaller than the 44.5 kWh EV battery in the recently unveiled all-electric MG ZS EV). The pure electric Tata Nexon has a claimed zero-emission range up to 300 km on a single charge (Modified Indian Driving Cycle-MIDC), short of the 340 km claimed by MG ZS EV). The Nexon EV has been tested over one million kilometres across India.
- The Nexon EV accelerates 0-100 km/h in 9.9 seconds compared to 8.5 seconds for the MG ZS EV. The Nexon comes in two driving modes, DRIVE & SPORT and is packed with features like regenerative braking, hill ascent & descent, etc.
- Battery warranty: 8 years or 1,60,000 kms (battery and motor). The EV is capable of Fast DC Charging and can be charged up to 80% within 60 minutes. The EV can also be charged from any 15 amp plug point (up to 80% in 8 hours).
- The EV comes packed connected car features to include the ZCONNECT. The EV offers 35 mobile apps that enable many features to include identifying EV charging points, battery charge, run remote diagnostics etc.
- The EV is priced between Rs 15 – Rs 17 lakhs (ex-showroom), significantly lower than the pricing of the MG ZS EV. The Nexon EV can be pre-booked for Rs 21,000 through the Tata Motors website. It is expected to be launched in early (January to March) 2020.
Battery And Range
- Battery capacity: 30.2 kWh
- Battery type: lithium-ion
- Range: 300 km (based on internal testing data)
- Capable of rapid charging (up to 80% in 50 minutes)
Power & Performance
- 0-100 km/h: 9.9 seconds
- Top speed: N/A
- Max Power: 129 PS
- Torque: 245 Nm
Pure electric cars available in India, include the, all-electric MG ZS SUV, the pure electric Tata Nexon SUV, the all-electric Tata Tigor sedan, the all-electric Mahindra e Verito and the all-electric Hyundai Kona SUV.