Though The All-Electric Tata Tigor Achieves The Distinction Of The Best Selling EV In India, The Race Is Yet At Early Stages. The Big Question Is Whether The Tata Sedan EV Has The DNA For Long Term Success, When The Indian EV Market Becomes Mature. Only Time Will Tell!
- Yes, we are all familiar with the Tata Group, well known across industries, to include the automotive sector. The Group conducts its primary activities in the automotive sector via its company, Tata Motors. For those of you less familiar with the origin of Tata Motors, the company was established pre-independence in 1945 as Tata Engineering And Locomotive Company (TELCO).
- The Tata group’s automotive ambitions are far beyond the borders of Inida. In fact, Tata owns the famed marque and automotive company, Jaguar Land Rover (JLR). JLR is well known among other models, for its all-electric Jaguar I-PACE SUV, which has achieved significant recognition and success in global markets, to include, the United States and the United Kingdom.
- The Tata Tigor, internal combustion engine (ICE) passenger car was launched in 2017 and originated from the Tata Tiago hatchback.
- Though the Tata Tigor EV was initially launched in 2018, for use by the Government of India (GoI), the four-door pure electric Tata Tigor sedan was launched for the private market in October 2019. Since its launch, the electric vehicle has performed well, with recent reports suggesting it to be the best successful passenger electric vehicle (669 units sold). The EV is also being acquired by fleet customers (commercial customers). The Tata Tigor EV is very similar in appearance to the petrol Tata Tigor, except for minimal changes.
- The Tigor EV has a 21.5 kWh high energy density lithium-ion battery, with an emission-free range of 213 km on a single charge. The EV has a fast charging socket, capable of charging up to 80% within 120 minutes (15kW charger). Home charging takes up to 11.5 hours.
- The eco-friendly Tata Tigor is available in three variants: XE+, XM+ and XT+. Prices start at Rs 9.54 lakhs fot the XE+ (ex-showroom), with highest spec variant, the XT+ priced at Rs 9.85 lakhs (ex-showroom).
- The EV comes with crystal-inspired LED, tail lamps, diamond front grille, automatic climate control, Harman sound system, ABS with electronic brake-force distribution, regenerative braking and alloy wheels (available in XT variant).
- The EV has a warranty of 3 years or up to 1,25,000 km. The EV battery has a similar warranty.
- Though the Tata Tigor EV is better priced compared to the all-electric MG ZS EV (Rs 24 lakhs), the key question is whether customers will prefer price over higher spec, range and quality. Judging by the orders received by MG, it seems customers in India prefer higher specifications and quality. Sounds familiar? Yes it does. The Tata Nano passenger car, despite its price, failed to gain traction.
- It is also interesting to note the battery size for the Tata Tigor battery-electric vehicle (BEV). At 21.5 kWh it certainly sits in the lower end of available EV battery sizes. Most EV models in the international markets are now close to 64 kWh if not much higher. Even the pure electric MG ZS EV has a 44.5 kWh EV battery. Moreover, consumers also have the option of the all-electric Hyundai Kona, priced at a similar level to the MG ZS EV and with a similar EV battery pack.
Battery And Range
- Battery capacity: 21.5 kWh
- Battery type: lithium-ion (high density)
- Range: 213 km (MIDC Cycle)
- Capable of charging up to 80% in 120 minutes)
Power & Performance
- 0-100 km/h: N/A
- Top speed: 80 km/h
- Max Power: 40 bhp
- Torque: 105 Nm
We will be launching soon the most extensive range of European high quality and high performance electric car charging cables on the e-zoomed Electric Living Shop.
We also encourage you to sign up to the e-zoomed newsletter on the home page. A great way to keep in touch with the latest developments in the Indian and global electric vehicle market. Also do follow us on the ‘e-zoomed India’ social media channels to include Twitter, Linkedin and Facebook (links on the e-zoomed India home page).